Monday, August 1, 2011

Shark Week

This week is one of my favorite weeks in the summertime.  Shark Week on Discovery Channel is one of those things that reminds me of my childhood.  My oldest brother always loved to watch Discovery during this week, and we would watch it together all the time.  It was quality time with my brother, as we would act like sharks and "attack" each other and make voices for the characters in the shows.  It is one of my fondest memories of my youth.

Justin also loves watching Shark Week with me, which has been a blessed continuance of some great memories.  Last night, we were watching a series of some men tagging Great White Sharks in hopes to discover new and interesting facts about these creatures.  One of the sharks that they tagged was actually pregnant, and the researchers were hoping they can gain some more information about where these species go to give birth.  I can't help but think there are so many things about many different species (some may still be undiscovered even) that we have yet to witness.  It reminds me a lot of a book that I am reading right now called Crazy Love (by Francis Chan).  The very first chapter is so convicting because it calls us to stop praying and just marvel at the creation of God.  Francis Chan points out that a wise man comes to God without saying a word and stands in awe of him. 

Did you know that there are 228 seperate and distinct muscles in a catepillar's head?  Did you know that the average elm tree has about 6 million leaves on it?  What about the fact that your own heart generates enough pressure to pump blood through your own body to shoot blood up to 30 feet?  These are all amazing facts that Francis Chan brings up in his book. 

If we could just take a step back and see the creativity and wonders that God has carefully and purposefully chosen for each and every thing in this world, we would be speechless.  Since I started this book, I constantly am thinking about why things work the way they do and marvel at the fact that God purposed those things to operate just that way.  It's wild really.  Psalm 19: 1-4 reads, "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.  Day after day they pour fourth speech; night after night they display knowledge.  There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."

Take a moment with me tonight.  Instead of pouring out words to our Lord tonight, just marvel in his creativity and purposefulness of the wonders around you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment